Sunday, October 9, 2016

Essay

                                                                                                          
James Evertsen
Graphic Design Emphasis

                     I really enjoy the process of creating new designs from nothing. The challenge and the endless creativity is what fills my senses. It is stimulating and energizing. I can’t get enough of these feelings, especially once I have unexpectedly come up with something unique and impressive.  I am honestly still in the process of finding my own uniqueness. I am very passionate with art and the process of creation and design. I feel like I am able to do about anything in the artistic field, but I am far from mastering one specific area.
                    Several years ago I attended Salt Lake Community College with the eagerness to pursue a career in the design field. As I was in the process, I acquired a natural eye for form and dimensions, and was lead in the creative direction of fine art techniques. While at SLCC, storytelling and developing symbols that define a scene or subject became a passion. This is why I sought an AAS in Illustration which I acquired in 2006.  During this time I also had the opportunity to attend a semester at Taos University in New Mexico. I took a course on children book illustration and production. I have a dream to one day illustrate children books. I have a sketch book with more than a dozen ideas that one day I’d like to put my name on. I learned some great fundamental skills and techniques that have since benefited my drawing and painting skills. While attending SLCC, I also learned I enjoy the process of any art project. The steps I learned from them I still continue to use. I research and brainstorm ideas and doodle with a few sketches. I then add the sketches to a storyboard layout and with some redefining and personal adjustments I begin designing my vision.  I gained and developed general key design and structural rules that I could apply to any art medium. I learned and became familiar with a variety of different computer programs and equipment that are not used any more. In fact, I still have a few unopened Zip discs kicking around.  These introductions have been very valuable and beneficial to me especially as I now pursue a degree in Graphic Design.                   
                    For several years I have had the opportunity of creating murals, business logos, and other design projects, but have never had the opportunity of doing this as a career full time. As for now, I want to learn and experience new mediums to help me find my true passion, and find my own personal style.  Graphic Design is in a constant incline and I want to continue learning new techniques to keep up with improving technology.  One day I hope to find that the skills I learn as I become a graphic designer will aid my other passion of illustration.  My hopes of this program are to gain the confidence and skills I need to pursue a career in the field I love. To design. To create. To be an Artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment